Sunday 20 June 2021

New Boot Strut Mounts

A quick job this one - but very satisfying. 

I'd repaired insidious rust damage behind and under the two boot strut mounts as part of parcel shelf repairs. This meant the strut mounts needed to be cut out. But, to be honest, they needed replacing anyway. You can find that repair work HERE

A job too far.....

One thing I hadn't got round to though, was putting on the replacement strut mounts. More recently I had my spot welder out for another job and, as access was good, it was quick and easy to at last finish this job. 

Old and new parts

The parts are small/ narrow, so I didn't fancy drilling holes in them to plug weld them. However using a spot welder meant I needed good electrical contact through both sides of layers to be welded - so there was a bit more prep. work. As well as removing the zinc coating from the replacement pieces, I also had to get back to bare metal under the wheel arch. Not as easy as it sounds with all the underseal there.

Ready to weld

I used weld-through primer before I fitted the pieces, but with both replacements welded back on, I also gave everything a quick coat of thinned-down red oxide primer, so that it wicked into any gaps and also prevented flash-rusting.

Job done




No comments:

Post a Comment