Monday 1 September 2014

The Lay Up (Part 2)

The lay Up Continues......

Moving back to Bedford, my car parts and possessions went into temporary storage in a lock up in Winslow, and the car went out to be stored at a nearby farm a few miles from Little Horwood. The journey from Bedford to the farm was about an hour each way and my visits were infrequent. Initially, and during the winter months, the car lived in the big, dry, vermin-free barn, along with a number of other classics and caravans. However towards the end of each summer they all had to vacate as the barn was used to store grain.

When that happened my DS had to be coaxed to life and moved to a secondary small barn: dry but cold and draughty and with plenty of vermin. The car made the move between barns for the first couple of years. On one occasion I noticed a dribble of water from the water pump bearing. On another I noticed a hydraulic fluid leak from the clutch cylinder. I probably last saw it in May 2004. 

"Big Barn" - 11 May 2004
Later that summer the car refused to start and had to be towed to the secondary barn, where it ended up stuck  in a corner. And there it stayed, boxed in by other cars and machinery.  I didn't see it again  until September 2014.

"Big Barn" - Cars and Grain, 14 September 2014
"Big Bar" - Cars And Grain: 14 September 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment